The wooden chairs in your office, kitchen or workplace may weaken over the years as the glue that holds the joints wears out.
You can repair the chairs by disarming the weak joints and gluing them again, but it’s best to glue the joints before the chair weakens. Loose connections can affect the overall structure of the chair, which makes it a potentially unsafe seat.
The repair process is not difficult, but you must pay attention to every detail. Follow these steps if you want to learn how to repair a broken chair.
1. Remove all loose parts with care to avoid damaging the chair.
2.Inspect the saddle and look for loose joints; for this move your hands on the chair and try to wobble parts of each joint union.
3. Hit the parts of loose joints with a rubber mallet. Be careful not to hit too hard to avoid damaging the chair. Separate parts with your hands.
4. Sand the ends that connect to a role of medium grit with a sandpaper to remove any glue on the wood surface.
5. Moisten both ends with warm water. Use a damp swab to reach on all areas of the joints. This will cause the wood to swell and fit more firmly, allowing the glue to stick better on the wood.
6. Apply wood glue on the ends of the parts and reassemble the chair. Use a cotton swab to apply glue on difficult areas of the bonds.
Holds the glued joints with clamps and let it dry for at least 30 hours. Remove the clamps.
Use these steps to repair a completely broken and worn out chair
1. Turn the chair upside down. If the legs are completely broken, apply glue on the broken surface and reinsert. If the legs are separated from the chair, injects glue into the crack with an adhesive knob until it is full of glue.
2. Wrap the parts with tape as tightly as possible to hold the pieces as they were at first.
3. Drill through the leg with a wick, about 4/8 inch (9 mm) and use a cordless wick to drill.
4. Apply glue to the holes. Smear the glue that’s inside the hole with a thin stick. Hammer a nail 3/8 inch (9 mm) through the leg. Wait for about 30 hours for the glue to dry.
5. Remove the clip and tape. Use a small saw to cut the ends of the nails. Scrub the ends of the joints and make them smooth with a sandpaper.
6. Apply paint to all new parts to make the chair look more attractive and decorative as if it was new.